Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sometimes winter isn't entirely dreary



I slated this miscanthus to be destroyed because it has overgrown the area around my patio where I originally grew it for privacy. But if I wait until spring to cut it down, I can watch tiny birds like this cute little titmouse enjoy the dried tassels. This morning I saw the grass virtually vibrating with these little gray guys and their sparrow friends. At some point they will have eaten the seed and I will put out thistle for them. My feathered friends make winter much easier to bear.

2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing! Last summer, I left a huge thistle weed in my rose garden because the butterflies loved the flowers and Goldfinches had a banquet from the ripe seed heads. Now, I'm pretty positive that my garden will be totally overrun by thistle because I left the seeds. Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted.

    (Here's a hint, if you don't mind a suggestion ... make your email visible in your profile so other bloggers can reply personally when you leave them a comment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Connie - and thanks for the suggestion as well!

      Linda

      Delete