Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Muse Hangs Out With the Pep Boys

Auto Pinstripe Tape

I adore French Country and Shabby Chic and lots of things in between, but Art Deco has always been my biggest love.  As Encyclopedia Britannica describes it, the “anti-traditional elegance” and “modernism turned into fashion” appeal to my longing for the elegance of 1920s Hollywood I also gravitate toward all things cocktail glamour, so when I found this 1960s rolling mini bar with its art deco curves and black and gold stripes, I knew I had to have it. It was missing its knobs, many of the wood slats were loose or missing, and the lower section of striped glass was gone. I used it for many years just as it was but eventually I decided I had to restore it. I only took one before photo because I didn’t know at the time I was going to share my project.



I carefully dismantled it and took one of the wood strips to a mill where they were able to duplicate it. After painting the new strips I glued them to a piece of heavy cotton fabric so they would be flexible and still fit into the track. The biggest challenge lay ahead. What to do about the missing glass. I considered replacing it with a sheet of plain black glass but I really wanted to duplicate those elegant stripes.  As often happens, the answer came to me in the middle of the night – 4:44 to be exact (much to my chagrin on a work day, that seems to be my muse’s favorite hour). Auto pinstriping! It comes in many widths and colors and is made to stay on your car through rain and wind and weather, so surely it would stick to glass. I stuck gold pinstripe tape to a piece of clear glass and then painted over it with black spray paint to make the black stripes. I’m thrilled with the way it turned out.


Thank you muse!  Now I need some inspiration for new knobs…and if I could just get that photography thing down…


Thanks for letting me share my project!

2 comments: