Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Backyard Veggie Garden is Underway!


I've planted mesclun, herbs, tomatoes, beans and peas in bags of really nice top soil according to Barbara Pleasant's new book. Then I surrounded the space with a 24 inch rabbit proof fence. This seemed like the most effective and humane solution to the rascally rabbit problem. The Rock Star kindly put down weed barrier and spread the $500 mulch left by the tree removal crew into nice little paths. Down the center I plan to put a double row of bags with summer squash and maybe a watermelon or two. I'm very excited to see how this works. The soil in my yard is mostly hard clay. I'm hoping that with the help of the good bagged soil, some earthworms and added compost in the fall I can till all this under next spring and have the perfect garden spot for future veggies. That's the plan anyway. Do you grow herbs or vegetables? Have you any advice? I'd love to hear from you!

5 comments:

  1. I have a similar garden space, where herbs, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and cucumbers are grown.... had to deal with clay soil too, but not rabbits...it's the squirrels and deer here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually have a garden but our soil is clay. We just started using raised beds and they are wonderful! Less weeding, and if you want to use bagged soil it doesn't get walked on, it only goes where you plant!
    Have a great Easter, your garden is off to a good start. It's still too cold here to plant anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. advice?
    dig up the rest of the yard.
    you are so gonna wanna.

    keep amending your soil with kitchen compost and leaves.

    YEAH FOR YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bunny-proofed veggie patch looks absolutely idyllic! The most I can grow are herbs in boxes due to the scorching Florida sun, but I managed to grow a bumper crop of basil and enjoyed fresh pesto all last summer... I envy your little patch of creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete