Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Is it too far gone to save?


I found this interesting 1940’s(?) magazine rack at the Belleville flea market a few weeks ago. I tried the "clean it up and leave it in its original condition" method because I’m always a little afraid to paint collectibles or “good” furniture. That may stem in part to the gorgeous cherry coffee table I uncovered (literally) years ago. I spent weeks stripping and refinishing - first its thick layer of flat pink latex paint and under that a high gloss black – yikes! We’re talking early 1980s – I have no before and after photos but I distinctly remember weeks of stinky stripper in my tiny L.A. apartment. It’s a wonder I didn’t succumb to asphyxiation.

But the finish on this piece is NOT pretty and it is not a rare wood. I wonder about the fact that the front and back do not match too. Perhaps it was a shop class project gone awry. But, rather than see an interesting (at least to me) and potentially lovely little magazine rack languish in the basement, and thanks to all my inspirational blogger friends out there, I’ve decided to make it my first chalk paint project.


I know, it’s very silly – but I’ve been frozen in a state of indecision since I found this little piece in a pile of rubble at the market. Should it be white, gray – maybe red! I’m thinking white – and just the slightest bit of distress…or is it just too far gone to ever look good? What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. It's a cute piece and I would definitely keep it and face the better side where it is more visible. I have never used ASCP either, so I'll be interested to see how it turns out. It's the perfect ASCP first project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting piece! I think white is a great choice... I've never had the pleasure of trying the chalk paint either. Rare in these parts. :) Thanks much for stopping by my blog and your sweet comment. I'm looking forward to the magazine rack reveal!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda I love it and it will be a perfect chalk paint project!! I will look forward to seeing the finished piece!Great find!

    The 2012 Artist Series featuring Designer and Paper Artist Anita Rivera...(of Castles Crowns and Cottages)is on my site, please stop by! Her work is amazing!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete