Friday, July 20, 2012

I Hope Mother Nature Read The Books...

Heirloom Tomato
With much gratitude to the Rock Star for his daily watering, much of my garden is surviving the drought. I made it past the hail, and the rabbits and birds have left me some tasty delights. I have several varieties of tomatoes, including red cherry, heirloom Cherokee Purple, Early Girl and Roma. I’m hoping this will cover, salads, canning and sauces, sandwiches and eating right off the vine.
Dill Head - Seeds Anyone?
My herbs are doing beautifully. Apparently, neither the birds nor the baby rabbits like them.  I have dill, basil – lots of basil, although some of it has bolted – oregano, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (don’t go there… it will give you an earworm).

Butternut Squash
I’ve adopted a combination of square foot gardening and the easy bag plan I found in Barbara Pleasant’s book. The bags in the center were planted with green beans and peas that were supposed to grow up the fencing and then I would add garden netting and teepees. Unfortunately, the birds were able to munch them faster than I could plant new seeds and what is left in the center now is summer squash, butternut squash and watermelon.  I only put a few seeds in each bag and skipped bags in between each crop so they will have room to spread.

Cucumber Blossom
Oh, and there is some grass and weeds in a space where I needed to put down weed barrier and mulch.  That's why you're not getting a full garden view photo just yet...I am totally flying by the seat of my pants. It all seems to make sense. I sure hope Mother Nature read the books…

5 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great to me. My tomatoes have just started to ripen. My pumpkins look hideous.
    Out of a package of seeds I have one large pumpkin.
    The rest shriveled up and died. My corn that survived the drought will be good enough for decorating in the fall, Not for eating. Parsley,sage,rosemary and thyme have done well considering I kept them in planters on the deck.
    I'm sure we are all in the same boat this year as far as our gardens go.

    ps. my gardens are not weed free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did your slit the base of the bags or poke holes for water drainage? I've not seen planting like this before. One way to prevent weeds taking over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put heavy layers of newspaper under them and poked holes in the bottoms for drainage. They did seem to hold moisture well, but not so much that the roots drowned. The theory is that next season we remove the plastic and turn the bagged soil and decomposed newspaper into the ground underneath. If it is still as compacted and hard clay as it was before, I believe I'll just use bags again! We have a saying in the States - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" LOL

      Your blog is beautiful - the photos are gorgeous! Thanks for visiting!

      Blessings, Linda

      Delete
  3. I love reading about the bounty from other gardens; a success story brought about by hard work and mother nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think this year we may have all had to work a little harder due to mother nature! :)

      Delete