Saturday, February 16, 2013

Decorating - Over the Cabinets, Not Over the Top

I know your honors, I’m completely out of order (weak attempt at courtroom humor), but even though I'm not done painting the kitchen yet, I REALLY wanted to decorate. So, instead of a TA DA complete reveal, I’m showing you how I avoid more painting.  First, I Googled lots of images for over the cabinet decorating ideas and totally confused myself. 

Too much and it looks like the Tchotchke Fairy threw up in your kitchen.


A Bit Too Much?
Via UglyHouse.com
Nice  Stuff, But Still A Bit Too Much Stuff


Too little and it looks a bit forlorn.
 A Bit Too Sparce
Via glitterglueandpaint.com
There was the “don’t do anything at all” school of thought, but that would have been too easy. I’ve never been known to do anything the easy way - ask the Rock Star after he has moved the sofa for the umpteenth time only to return it to its original space. Well, I guess that was easy for me, just not easy for the Rock Star.

Via Apartment Therapy
I'm hoping I got it just right.

Over the Cabinet Decor - Just Right?
Some say silk plants are a no-no, but mine are easy to clean and I like greenery. The  Rock Star reminded me that we are WAAY farther away than 19km from Paris AND it's not west of us. (He's just being difficult because of the sofa incident). I may need to replace my little Paris sign with a larger sign. I have these in my Etsy shop, but my EAT signs are larger and would certainly work in this space. The tureen was made by my mother-in-law in ceramics class. She is the sweetest lady in the world. 

Which Way to Paris?
 I just love Guy Buffet's waiters. Mr. Buffet was commissioned to do the floral pattern on the Perrier Jouet champagne bottles. I have a collection of the champagne glasses and an ice bucket, but you will note I did not add them to my above cabinet space. I have no idea what you call the wire thingy, but it was too small in my garden, so I repurposed it here.

Guy Buffet - Perrier Jouet Bottle
More silk no-nos, again easy clean and terrific space fillers. I'm looking for artificial herbs to replace the jade plants for a more kitchen theme, but for now...

Above Kitchen Cabinet Decor

Well, my blogger friends, thanks for coming this far with me. I appreciate constructive criticism and advice - especially if it keeps me from returning to painting. 

12 comments:

  1. I really like the fern hanging around the clock. Just right. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susie! Our cat, Sequoia, used to manage to get up there at night. I'd find her in the morning, smiling down at us from her perch atop the pantry door and wonder how on earth she got up that high. She's older now (aren't we all) and I've given her a stool so she can get on top of the clothes dryer and peak out the laundry room window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is looking fabulous!! You know I like to put the cart before the horse and decorate before the room is done, so I totally get it. :)

    You fell off my blog roll somewhere along the way and I thought you just weren't posting anymore. I'm linked up again and can't wait to see what your up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much - I'm glad you're back! I seemed to lose several friends when I got my new laptop. Darned technology anyway. It couldn't possibly be operator error....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you got it JUST RIGHT, Linda. It looks great and I do think a nice big EAT sign up there would be really sweet- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Diana - glad you stopped by. I do think I will switch out the signs, as soon as I get the energy to paint another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I happen to love the greenery. It really adds something to the mix. A little larger sign? I agree, but only if it's convenient to get one up there. Everything looks great. Not too much, not too minimalistic either. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Maggie. I appreciate your input - and I adore your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you've got it just right. I think greenery always adds the perfect touch. Great blog, I'll be following. Can't wait to see the complete reveal.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Patti. Now the pressure is on to actually finish before gardening season begins!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a fan of fake plants, too! Set 'em and forget 'em, I say. Yours look great. Your entire cupboard tops look great! (They're hard to photograph way up there, aren't they?) I love the French theme. And your mother-in-law is really good with clay; what a beautiful terrine. As always, I'm looking forward to seeing more. (But no pressure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel! I appreciate the encouragement. Barring any further interruptions (by life in general) I will be finished this weekend. Whoo! Whoo! Of course, that just means I'll have to find another project.

      Delete