Sunday, April 21, 2013

Blogging - A World Wide Coffee Klatch

Kirby at Kirb Appeal, who I recently discovered and highly recommend reading, has a post that inspired me to think about what it is that gives me the urge to blog.

Jack LaLanne

In the past, when most women were stay at home moms (and dads said things like “no wife of mine will ever have to get a job”), my mama and other ladies in the neighborhood would take turns hosting coffee klatches. They’d drink gallons of coffee out of melamine cups, share recipes and knitting patterns and discuss whether to feed a cold or starve a fever. Sometimes, they even exercised with Jack LaLanne on TV.  I think someone who had tried to sell Amway or Avon every day, or never added anything to the conversation but constant complaining and whining would eventually stop getting invited. 

Originally, I started blogging because of an article I read at Etsy about using the social media to build your online presence and get attention for your shop. That has not happened for me. Though Facebook, Twitter and blogs may work as advertising tools for some, for me it isn't any fun, it takes too much time, and I don't like reading blogs that are nothing more than billboards for a shop or company anyway, so I sure don't want to write one like that. 
What did happen was that I discovered a world of ladies with whom I have things in common. Ladies who like to make things, cook things, decorate things, photograph things and even sell things. More importantly, I found ladies who want to share all the joys of life with which they are blessed. I thank them all for coming to my little coffee klatch - and for inviting me to theirs.

Blessings,
Linda

9 comments:

  1. Linda- I liked that post of Kirby's, too. Isn't that the truth though- that you write for the love of coffee klatching? I know I do. I have had several contacts for advertising, etc, but have turned them down. I don't like to visit the blogs that are one big revolving ad and that is not why I am blogging. I, like you, am in it for the fun of doing it and for a "history" of/for my kids/grandkids.

    I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful Sunday afternoon! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diana! I had a lovely afternoon out in the garden with the Rock Star. There isn't a muscle in my body that's not screaming, but it was wonderful. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Linda. I am writing to preserve memories for my children and grandchildren. Sometimes, I catch myself directing my writing to the blog world, though. That's when I make some adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda- Kirby's post has us all thinking! Thank you for mentioning me as someone you'd like to invite over. It's the best compliment a person can give me. Truly, thank you.
    I don't FB or Twitter, but I'm trying to figure out Google+. I'm not sure I want to be there, either, as it seems like a FB thing and I have no interest in that. Or the time! I agree with you that the best perks of blogging have been the friendships with like minded women. Though we are separated by distance in most cases, I would definitely spends lots of time laughing and hanging out with my favorite bloggy friends were it possible.
    Have a great week! xo,Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina - I always enjoy your posts. One of my favorite parts of blogging is that I can enjoy the company of terrific women and not worry about if my hair is perfect. ;)

      Delete
  5. Linda,
    have juat found you and have enjoyed browsing thru. Blogging has given me some great friendships with some amazing women that I'd never have met otherwise. I don't FB or Twitter either and have no interest doing so. I just like "drinking coffee" sharing and enjoying my little piece of the bloggy world. I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit me.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca,
      Thanks so much for visiting - glad you found me. I enjoyed visiting your little corner of the blog world too and look forward to visiting often.
      Blessings,
      Linda

      Delete
  6. I'm with you. I don't do Facebook, twitter, Hometalk, etc. Maybe it's because we have jobs outside of the home and just don't have the hours to spend on our computers when we are at home. I've done a little soul searching during the past month and realized that blogging is actually keeping me from getting things done! I'm limiting my blog time and enjoying a little thing called life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really sweet post.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete