Sunday, May 25, 2014

Tomato - Tomahto - OH CRAP!

Can you tell which of these tomato seedlings are the heirloom Brandywine, which are the red cherries - no? How about the beefsteaks or the Super Sioux?  Me neither, doggone it. I had them all color coded on a chart in their little pots in the starter tray. Then when they got their second set of leaves and became a little leggy, I prepared to move them into larger pots. They say you are supposed to bury the stem about halfway up when you put them in larger pots and then harden them off when they are big enough to go outside.

This is my chart. It would have worked had I not removed them all willy-nilly from the tray without paying attention.


Now I cannot sell the extra plants at the farmers market. Guess I'll find a place for all 45 plants and and sell the tomatoes at the market. The good news is, I had no trouble identifying the watermelon! Next time - Popsicle sticks!

10 comments:

  1. How about selling them as "Mystery Tomatoes".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might work! Kind of like a tomato grab bag.

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda, I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris! Thank you for stopping by. I will indeed follow your blog. Your painting talents are admirable and your grandchildren are too sweet!
      Blessings,
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Oh, nooooooo! I hope to start a vegetable garden next year, so I'll have to look to you for lots of tips. I'm trying to eat mostly whole foods, so growing my own would certainly cut down on produce expenses during the late summer and early fall! You should have a bumper crop to sell this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vickie! Thanks for stopping by. I think I'll be able to give you lots of "don'ts" by next year! I do love fresh veggies and I'm learning by trial and error - lots of error ;)

      Delete
  4. That is too funny. You will have a ton of tomatoes to sell if you're planting all 45 plants. I used to plant 24 tomato plants so that I could get enough for canning. Last year I put in raised beds and for lack of space I now only plant 12, but still get just as many tomatoes. Don't you love it when the tomatoes start coming on and you can just go outside and pick one anytime you like? I love eating warm and sweet cherry tomatoes when I'm out working in the garden. To me, that's the best.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home grown tomatoes are better than candy, aren't they! Thanks for stopping by Cindy.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful problem to have - too many tomatos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will have "surprise" tomato's this year! I had that kind last year. Thanks for stopping in, it reminds me to stop over and see what you have been up too.

    ReplyDelete